- Action Points (APs) can be accumulated indefinitely. They are only lost when expended.
- PCs do not receive an AP after a milestone.
- PCs do not receive an AP after an Extended Rest, and they do not lose any unspent APs after an Extended Rest.
- Action Points are awarded to a PC at the start of every level. A PC receives 3 Action Points per level at Heroic Tier, 6 Action Points per level at Paragon Tier, and 9 Action Points per level at Epic Tier.
- The DM, at his discretion, may award additional APs to the party at the completion of a quest or to individual PCs for exceptional role-playing.
- PCs are not limited to using only one AP per encounter. However, they can never use more than one AP per turn.
- A PC with zero APs remaining, but at least one Healing Surge remaining, may still elect to use an AP by spending 1D4 Healing Surges. If the number of Healing Surges expended exceeds the number the PC has remaining, the PC is able to perform a standard action but then immediately drops to 0 hit points and is unconscious but not dying. (See Knocking Creatures Unconscious on p. 295 of the Player’s Handbook.)