Ability scores can be generated using any of the three methods described on pages 17-18 of the Player’s Handbook. However, if you choose Method 3: Rolling Scores, substitute the following procedure in place of the one described on page 18:
1. Choose two attributes that you’d like your PC to be ‘high’ in, and one attribute that your PC will be ‘low’ in. The remaining three attributes will be considered ‘medium’.2. Roll each of the six attributes: STR, CON, DEX, INT, WIS, CHA, in that order.
- If you labeled the attribute as ‘high’, roll 5D6 and take the top three numbers.
- If you labeled the attribute as ‘medium’, roll 4D6 and take the top three numbers.
- If you labeled the attribute as ‘low’, roll 3D6 and use this value.
3. Use the D&D Insider Character Builder software to complete the generation of your PC using the attribute values as rolled above.
Note: The Method 3: Rolling Scores method must take place in the presence of the DM so that all dice rolls can be observed by the DM.